Tweed - World Class Salmon & Sea Trout Fishing
Stretching for almost 100 miles from its source near Moffat in Dumfriesshire to the North Sea at Berwick upon Tweed is regarded as perhaps one of the world’s finest salmon fishing rivers, attracting anglers in the spring and summer for runs of fish, as well as throughout the fishing season which begins on February 1st and finishes at he end of November.
Horncliffe Fishings Tweed - The Beat
Situated on the border between Scotland and England near to Norham village with its historic castle, church, pubs and butcher (that sells fishing supplies, pies, sandwiches and drinks – Traditional Butchers, Game Dealers, Wine Merchants & Cheese Specialists R.G. Foreman & Son – Founded 1840).
Beat 1 starts below Norham Castle and the beat’s lower limit, at the bottom of Beat 3 is just above the top of St Thomas Island near to Horncliffe village, approximately six miles inland from Berwick-upon-Tweed. The fishing hut has stove to keep guests warm and looks out across a lawn on to the river. This English riverbank stretch is split into three fishing beats featuring a mixture of fast flowing shallow water suitable for fly fishing and deeper, slow moving water which is more suitable for spinning.
Horncliffe Fishing Tweed Syndicate Arrangements Per Tweed Guidelines
- Syndicate membership is personal. No subletting of syndicate membership.
- No fishing before 9a.m.
- No fishing between 1 & 2 p.m.
- No stationary fishing in a pool i.e. keeping moving down the pool generally at least 1 pace per cast
- Spinning permitted between 15th February and 14th September 2022 inclusive
- No casts upstream (spinning or otherwise): The code explains in more detail and as applies to most fly casts too: “Unless fishing with a floating line, cast downstream of square with only a slow retrieve until the cast has been fished out”
- Catch & Release only between 1st February to 30th June, 2022 and recommended generally most especially hen fish
- Please shut any gate opened.
- Please take all litter home.
- Please keep dogs on leads.
- Please don’t go on / drive on conservation margin between arable field and access track.
- No access to fishing hut as/and syndicate rods are “unguided” i.e. no boatman / ghillie
- Syndicate rods give way to day rods on draw
- No fishing when river over 2 foot at Norham gauge per FishPal website
Catch Reporting: Please email catch records to Info@HFTweed.co.uk including:
|1. Species (Sea Trout or Salmon):|
|3. Fly or Spinner|
|4. River Height when caught|
|5. Weather conditions|
|6. Bank or Boat caught|
|It would good to also know:|
|7. Fly / Lure used (name / size)|
|8. Line used|
- Head Boatman Position – Appointed – Interested in applying for this role please click here – Filled 6.vi.22
2020-21 Fishing Practices
Any loaned wading sticks loaned be disinfected after use
Beat landing nets, wherever possible, only to be used by boatmen
Boatmens’ ability to assist making-up guests rods reduced by social distancing measure but every effort to help will be made
Guests to use their own vehicles
No access to the fishing huts
No boat fishing with boatmen
No guest attendance on beats before Boatman or after boatmen have departed.
Social distancing to be always observed
“If you catch a floy tagged fish (a tag below the dorsal fin), please record the number on the tag and inform The Tweed Foundation or the boatman on your beat, who can pass on the information. The Tweed Foundation can be contacted on 01896 848271 or The Head Fishery Officer on 07884 230045”
Sitting between Norham village and Berwick-upon-Tweed
The Horncliffe Fishings are easily accessible for ‘confirmed-as-booked’ customers/guests only.
Vehicular access to the normal meeting point at the Greenhill Fishing Hut is via a hardcore track, which is generally smooth (but not suitable for a Ferrari or other cars with low ground clearance) leading through privately owned farmland for about 1 ¼ miles to the Greenhill Fishing Hut which occupies a very peaceful setting at the heart of the beat.
There are now 2 cattle grids to cross but if you do open a gate accessing or departing the beat please ensure to leave it securely closed. There may well be livestock in the fields that are not immediately visible from the track or its gateways.
Please drive slowly and make sure to keep dogs well away from livestock. Thank you for your much appreciated assistance.
Greenhill Fishing Hut
A fishing hut (formerly the netting shiel) situated at the bottom of the Beat 2 is equipped with wood gas and gas fires, a small refrigerator and gas cooking hobs, together with barbeque facilities and adequate parking spaces. With sufficient notice an additional boatman can be arranged to provide ghillieing at a cost per day.
128 Salmon & Grilse 8 Sea Trout
(5 year average catch statistics)
River Levels - Norham Gauge
Tweed Fishing Code
River Tweed Commission – Tweed Angling Code, for Salmon and Sea-trout.
A guide to legal restrictions and good practice when fishing on Tweed and its tributaries.
In order to mitigate the risk of spreading Gyrodactylus Salaris, all fishing’ equipment that has been used outside the UK and Ireland within the preceding 7 days must be cleaned either by :
- Drying to a minimum of 20℃ for at least 2 days, OR
- Heating to above 60℃, OR
- Immersion of materials in a suitable solution of Virkon (at 1% solution), Wescodyne (at 1% solution), 3% solution of common salt (Sodium chloride) or a 0.2% solution of Sodium hydroxide OR
- Deep freezing for at least 1 day
Availability & Booking
Rods can be booked online via FishPal.
Price per rod/per day ranges from £40 to £155 depending on month of the year.